Sunday, May 29, 2016

A Place Called Plaka by Michelle Ricciardi





- Upon arriving to Athens, I thought about how closely it resembles New York City.

There are hundreds of shops including American stores like H&M and Zara. Graffiti covers buildings, even those built in classical style with their marble staircases and Ionic columns. Cars bustle the streets day and night and it is nearly impossible for pedestrians to cross from sidewalk to sidewalk despite the crossing signs. Small pop up convenience stores that resemble bodegas line the streets.

Athens even has its own version of Greenwich Village.

Plaka, a small district in the city, is an oasis hidden in the city. The sidewalks are lined with trees and small buildings with iron embroidered balconies. Small lanterns line the courtyards and hang over dinner guests.

The smell of seasoned meats and coffee spill into the streets from the many restaurants and cafes.

Performers walk up and down the streets playing their instruments while their sidekicks holding signs that ask tourists for money. "Free for you," say the women who walk the streets selling roses.

Plaka is an escape from Athens, a place where those who don't enjoy concrete jungles can dwell as the hipsters in The Village.

Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Location:Leoforos Poseidonos,Glifadha,Greece

6 comments:

  1. Great description, Michelle. Plaka not only has atmosphere but it's also the place where I had to remind myself "You buy it....you carry it home." I made 3 trips to Greece with Dr. C and his students and they are VERY fond memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful description, I feel like I'm there with you all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your description of the Plaka. It's very simple but efficient in describing the total experience. It really paints an image that reminds me exactly what it looks like since I was there; but it also gives a good idea for people who know nothing about it. I also find it funny that you noticed how similar it was to NYC like I did. -Alex

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post Michelle! It is very descriptive and makes me feel like I'm back in Athens. I have a clear picture of everything you are saying. Because I have been there it is easy for me to remember but for those who haven't this would be a great post to read if they ever want to visit. The Plaka was definitely my favorite place to walk around and eat at while in Athens. Take me back :( -Imani

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post Michelle! It is very descriptive and makes me feel like I'm back in Athens. I have a clear picture of everything you are saying. Because I have been there it is easy for me to remember but for those who haven't this would be a great post to read if they ever want to visit. The Plaka was definitely my favorite place to walk around and eat at while in Athens. Take me back :( -Imani

    ReplyDelete