Friday, May 20, 2016

Why We Travel: thinking about Pico Iyer's powerful essay

To start getting ready for our trip to Greece, we read Pico Iyer's beautiful essay "Why We Travel" http://picoiyerjourneys.com/index.php/2000/03/why-we-travel/


Michelle Ricciardi wrote:
Iyer's essay captivated me from the first sentence down to the last. I felt as though his words described what I have failed to tell to all of the world when I talk about my passion for traveling. Having recently traveled to Thailand, reading this essay reinforced the enlightenment about life that I had felt after seeing the other side of the world. One of my favorite quotes from this essay is when Iyer says "...the sovereign freedom of traveling comes from the fact that it whirls you around and turns you upside down, and stands everything you took for granted on its head. If a diploma can famously be a passport (to a journey through hard realism), a passport can be a diploma (for a crash course in cultural relativism).", because traveling to foreign places truly changes you. In my case, I could acknowledge the fact that I would never be the same even upon returning home. I felt like I found my center, that seeing how different Thai culture was and opening myself up to traditions and embracing their way of life made me learn about myself so much that I felt more at peace with myself than ever before. You not only learn more about culture than any textbook or newspaper, as Iyer states in the beginning, but you learn about yourself.

Alex Franciosa noted:
Iyer talks about how travel is work, but we need to work to appreciate things.  He also talks about the idea that some people will always grumble about how “things are all the same” or “things are too different.” To be able to truly appreciate place, we have to accept that things are different but that is what makes it worthwhile to travel.  Personally, I am interested in seeing how things will be the same, how people will all show some of the same aspects of humanity despite growing up in a completely different place. Iyer talks about how tourists, once the initial biases are overlooked, can bring different, beautiful points of view to something that the native people are used to.
     Iyer also discusses how traveling makes us like children again.  We become surrounded by a language we don’t understand, and we have to resort to simple phrases and expressing ourselves through our surroundings.  Travel makes us innocent; we’re in an unknown world, exploring and discovering new things.

Imani Davis said: 
Overall, Pico lyer’s essay “Why We Travel” speaks many truths about the emotions, thought process and semi culture shock of traveling. The essay opens by saying,

We travel, initially, to lose ourselves; and we travel, next, to find ourselves. We travel to open our hearts and eyes and learn more about the world than our newspapers will accommodate. We travel to bring what little we can, in our ignorance and knowledge, to those parts of the globe whose riches are differently dispersed. And we travel, in essence, to become young fools again — to slow time down and get taken in, and fall in love once more”. (“Why We Travel)

The opening statements really got me to think about my past traveling experiences. Now, I’m not new to traveling and it has become a tradition in my family to travel to at least two new places every summer. We’ve gone to Florida, Las Vegas, Aruba, Venezuela and my mother’s birthplace Jamaica, just to name a few. And each place that I have traveled to I’ve gained knowledge from, never wanted my stay to be over and most importantly fell in love with. Once you travel out of your comfort zone its like a mind blowing experience. Traveling to places where people talk differently and dress different can be a little weird sometimes but when you think about it you’re just as different to them and they are to you. At the end of the day it’s all about embracing where you are and the people you will be around. Temporarily this is your home and these people are not just strangers but your new neighbors and somewhat tour guides. They learn from you just as much as you learn from them. As Pico lyer as said,

“Abroad is the place where we stay up late, follow impulse and find ourselves as wide open as when we are in love. We live without a past or future, for a moment at least, and are ourselves up for grabs and open to interpretation”. (“Why We Travel)

Traveling to unknown places is scary. Our Greece experience will be scary but fun. We will be living in the present and experiencing new and exciting things that only we can go back to our families and friends and try to explain or put into words. 

No comments:

Post a Comment