Thursday, June 2, 2016

Coffee is Universal (But Not the Same) By Alex Franciosa




Do not stir and drink Greek Coffee.
In most coffee shops in Greece, customers can buy typical drinks like coffee, coffee lattes, and cappuccinos. All of them can be served hot or cold, with or without sugar and milk, and with additional favors. However, most menus also contain something suspiciously called "Greek Coffee."
Thinking I would undergo the legitimate cultural coffee experience, I ordered a cup of Greek coffee- black. But I didn't ask what made it Greek.
After doing research, I've learned that, similar to Turkish Coffee, Greek Coffee is unfiltered. Roasted beans are finely ground and then simmered instead of boiled in water. After it is poured, the grounds are left to settle before the drink is served, sometimes with a small piece of candy.
What does this mean for drinking it? Greek Coffee comes in an adorably small mug as it contains less water than "American Coffee." It is also stronger.
Despite not knowing any of this, I enjoyed my cup until I discovered the ground coffee beans at the bottom. At the time, I didn't give any thought to what they were. I probably figured it would dissolve if stirred, and I would miss out on the full coffee experience if I didn't. In the heat of the moment, I made the decision to stir them around and then take a huge sip. As you can imagine, this resulted in a terrifying ordeal that was resolved with me drinking water to try and clear the coffee grounds that coated my throat.
It's like drinking tea leaves: you can technically do it, but it's definitely not recommended. I probably should have taken the hint that the coffee didn't come with a spoon and I had to use my fork to stir.
All of that being said, I do strongly recommend trying Greek Coffee. For the taste, the caffeine, and the experience.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

2 comments:

  1. Alex this is hilarious. You stirred the coffee with a fork, sounds like something I would do. I don't normally drink coffee because it has the opposite effect on me. Instead of waking me up it puts me to sleep. So I did not try the Greek coffee but from your post I'm kind of sad I didn't try it just for the experience. I did have a sip of the cold frappe when we were in Patmos I believe. That was pretty good. But thanks for the info. Now I know when I go back what to do when having Greek coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a lesson you won't forget! I commend you on your bravery for trying something new without asking what exactly it was, but experiences like this make for much better stories than "I got my coffee and I drank it." I wish I was there to witness this all happening, too, because it sounds pretty funny.

    ReplyDelete