Thursday, June 2, 2016

Crepes from the Gods by Michelle Ricciardi


The Greek island of Mykonos has a reputation of being a destination for fabulous nightlife.

However, it holds much more for travelers than nights full of parties. The crystal blue waters set the perfect stage to watch the sunrise from one of the hundreds of restaurants that face the port.

Wander down the white and gray stone roads and smells from shrimp risotto to pizza fill the tiny paths that wind uphill between the crisp, white squares of buildings.



Upon all of these delicious aromas, one particularly sweet scent of fresh baked waffles and crepes caught my attention.
As I walked into the shop, the owner and chef was delighted and greeted my friends and I with a warm smile. He stood behind the counter with a large, circular hotplate in front of him and a large pale of batter on the side.

One girl, Brianna, told him to "surprise" us with his own combination of crepe. His smile widened and replied that he is very happy when his customers trust him. He poured a small ladle of batter on to the plate and used a small wooden square with a thin handle to spread the battery evenly throughout.



After he flipped the crepe, he spread Nutella, white chocolate sauce, fresh sliced strawberries, and crushed Oreos and filed the crepe.

He topped it with a dollop of whipped cream and there I held a crepe the size of my face, warm and fresh, in my hands. Every last bite was worth the mess of sweetness the dripped all over my face as I ate it.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Location:Mykonos, Greece

2 comments:

  1. Mmmmm. I can just about taste the crepe from your descriptions. It's nice to read about the little treasures in a town that people have heard about for different reasons. Once again, I like how you set this post up as more of a story and took the readers along with you. And the pictures are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mouth is watering. I am experiencing my first crepe all over again. Getting a crepe from Mykonos was on my Greece bucket list. I had to take mine to go and I'm happy I did. I got to enjoy every bite of this huge sweet at my own pace. The owner was such a nice guy and you can tell he loves his job!

    ReplyDelete